The Alberta Association of Midwives educates the public about the benefits of midwifery care and supports the growing number of Registered Midwives in Alberta. Registered Midwives are the experts in normal pregnancy, birth and the postpartum period. Midwifery services are fully funded by Alberta Health Services.
The Alberta Association of Midwives is the professional body representing midwives and the practice of midwifery in the province of Alberta. The Alberta Association of Midwives:
- Advocates for the professional interests of midwives and for the Canadian Model of Midwifery Care.
- Provides continuing education opportunities for its membership
- Participates in the implementation of a provincial midwifery education program.
- Supports midwifery-centered research and its application to practice.
- Represents midwives in matters of professional interest such as remuneration, benefits and liability insurance.
- Promotes awareness of the roles and functions of the profession of midwifery.
- Collaborates with the Midwifery Health Disciplines Committee and is currently working to establish an independent self regulatory College of Alberta Midwives.
- Provides public education and promotes midwifery as an integral part of the Alberta health care system.
- Provides ongoing peer support to all members, including educational and professional development.
- Develops clinical and other practice guidelines and promotes midwifery research.
- Negotiates and provides access to professional liability insurance for midwife members.
- Is an active member in the Canadian Association of Midwives.